Thursday, November 25, 2010

#42: Happy Thanksgiving Pumpkin Tartlets

At work we celebrate Thanksgiving with a big potluck filled with turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and of course dessert! One of my favorite savory dishes this year was a crispy bacon wrapped water chestnut...very unique and tasty. But I must say...anything covered with bacon is generally pretty good. Anyways, last Thanksgiving I made sweet potato cupcakes. Here's a picture as a reminder:


This year, I decided to use the frozen pie dough I had left over from summer's strawberry pie. Of course, for Thanksgiving it seemed most appropriate to make pumpkin pie. I prefer small desserts, so I decided to make pumpkin pie tartlets. I had never made a pumpkin pie before...but it is seriously the easiest pie to make (that is, if you already have pie crust dough prepared). I used canned pumpkin because I've heard making pumpkin puree from scratch is definitely not worth it. I used this recipe here for the pie filling. As for the cook time for the tartlets, I decided to just watch them through the oven window and estimate cook time. I also added a leaf garnish to the top (just leaf-shaped pie dough). I let the tartlets cook for about 10 minutes until the filling was stable enough for me to place the leaf on top. I then let the tartlets finish cooking for about 15 more minutes.

Lastly, I made a batch of vanilla bean whipped cream to serve with the tartlets. It was basically just whipped cream infused with vanilla beans and sugar. I think this was a perfect creamy supplement to the tartlets.

Happy Thanksgiving! Eat up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment