Monday, August 10, 2009

interesting

After watching Julie and Julia yesterday...and reflecting on a conversation from Friday, I have been inspired to cook and bake. Let me give you the reader's digest version of my conversation. it went something like this.

me: i'm jealous of you. i have no hobbies. no interesting hobbies. i want to be more interesting. i'm boring.

we started brainstorming of how i could be more interesting.

what do you like to do?

me: i like looking at food. looking at pictures of food. walking around the grocery store and looking at food. taking pictures of food.

we decided that cooking and taking pictures of the food, would be my new hobby. it was quite timely that we watched julie and julia 2 days later. it made me want to copy julie and pick out a cookbook from the shelf, and set a deadline to make every recipe. i wondered, how many people were going to go start a blog and cook from a cookbook. i don't want to be a follower. but, i guess i kind of am. in any case, i'm taking my own twist on it. maybe.

here's what i'm envisioning. let me start with a story. yesterday i was at safeway, and i saw a box of Pop Tarts. oh boy, i haven't had pop tarts in ages. Instead of succumbing to my sweet craving, I was challenged to make my own homemade pop tarts. So how about making homemade versions of all these commercialized products? Oreos? Gummy fruit snacks?

i expect this venture won't last long. but in any case, i'm hoping to cook more...and share it with whomever is reading this. do you think i'll ever get enough readers to attract enough attention to inspire a movie? i guess probably not. it's already been done...

to officially kick off my new hobby, i made Pop Tarts tonight. I will share with you soon...

2 comments:

  1. yay. that's kind of what i wanna do with my blog. we'll see how it goes.

    did you use alton brown's recipe? i remember him making pop tarts. And tastespotting has a lot of recipes for homemade oreos, twinkies and stuff like that =)

    ReplyDelete